Monday, August 18, 2008

The Report

For the last two weeks I have been waiting for the accident report from the State Police. While it is probably not the most important thing, I still need to know what happened to Sam and me. Sound crazy? "Uh Dude, you know you were in an accident right? And, you already told us what happened?" Well, yes. My head didn't get busted that bad.

But I don't actually know what happened! My memory of the accident consists of snapshots: [click] Car in my lane. [click] end of the cables just before impact [click] airbag in my lap, people telling me what to do . . .. But, did I remember it right? Did anyone else see the "brown car." How about a license plate number? Anyone who has ever had a fender bender knows what happens. As the shock of it goes away, you get out of the car, turn to the next person, and say: "Wow! What just happened!" I've seen the accident site, looked at the car and I think i know what happened "off road." But I have not been able to "ask" the guy behind me what he saw.


So I've been frustrated, and today more so. The State Police say that I can have a courtesy copy of the report, but the Trooper in charge of my accident was on vacation. I have no problem with that, but I'm still frustrated. The office manager was going to give me a partial report. She thought the only thing missing was my statement from the hospital, but I know what I said. I called her back to say I was coming down, she went on vacation too. Again, nothing wrong with that . . ..

Today, the Trooper was back, he called my cell phone. I'm thinking, great! Now we're in business! But, no. It turns out that what is missing is one witness statement alright, but not mine. Someone left a phone number and he has been unable to make contact. Just a bunch of phone tag. It could be until next Saturday at this point. "Ok, I hear that there were several witnesses . . . a couple of off duty police officers . . . ?" Well they were far enough back that they didn't see anything, just a cloud of dust in the median, and that's why they stopped.

So I guess I'll wait. I know the trooper is doing what he can, and it did help a bit to talk with him today. At least I know what's going on. But no one who saw the accident stopped? I know there was someone behind me in my lane. I don't know how far, but with the traffic, probably not more than 100 feet, and I think a lot less. Didn't see anything? Or just didn't bother to stop? Or maybe, like me, it all happened so fast that they think they didn't see anything, slowed down and saw others stopping behind and so went on their way. [Sigh]

In my fantasy world, someone was on their way somewhere really important, like to the hospital to have a baby, so they could not stop. But on the way, they saw the accident, caught up with the "brown car" and got a license number. Now, healthy baby in arms, they don't know what to do with the license number so they check the internet every day . . ..

Hey, I said it was a fantasy! Still, maybe I'll put some key words in this post.

-- Patton


No comments: